4 Things You Should Know Before Choosing Your Endodontist
Finding the right endodontist in Arkansas can be tricky. It’s important to do some research and ask your dentist for recommendations. Here are a few questions you should ask about an endodontist practice before making a decision.
To help you better understand how to choose an endodontist, we are going to use our practice, James A. Penney, III, DDS, PA Endodontics, as an example.
1. What kind of technology do they offer?
One of the characteristics of endodontistry is state-of-the-art technology. Dentists refer patients to endodontists if they foresee any complications with the root canal procedure. With state-of-the-art dental equipment, endodontists can better understand your dental issues and provide the best care possible.
At James A. Penney, III, DDS, PA Endodontics we use several state-of-the-art technologies to treat our patients.
● We use a Cone Beam CT to get a 3D radiographic image of your tooth. This unique 3D image gives us a better understanding of your situation by allowing us to see the structure of your teeth and the surrounding bones and sinuses.
● Radiographs are essential to diagnosing and treating your dental issues. That’s why we rely on the latest Digital Imaging Technologies. Digital imaging allows us to get an insightful image of your teeth with minimal exposure time. A digital imaging radiograph has 90% less exposure time for the patient than traditional radiographs.
● Modern Endodontic Microsurgery would not be where it is today without the introduction of the surgical microscope. We perform all endodontic therapy procedures with only the best surgical microscopes, manufactured by Carl Zeiss.
2. What do other people have to say about the practice?
Don’t forget to check out reviews. Whether it’s word-of-mouth or a quick online search, make sure you hear what other people have to say about the practice.
Find reviews for James A. Penney on the following websites:
Health Grades: https://www.healthgrades.com/dentist/dr-james-penney-2ygbj
3. What kind of education does the endodontist have?
An endodontist can hold a Doctor of Dental Surgery or a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree. These degrees are equally compatible. It’s also important to know if they are involved in continued education, teaching and societies.
● Dr. James A. Penney received a DDS from the University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences in 1992. In 1994 he finished his 2-year residency.
● He has been teaching about advancements in Endodontics since 1995 and lecturing about cutting edge endodontic technologies all over the county.
● Dr. Penny is involved, since the beginning of his career in 1994, in six dental associations, both local and national.
4. How long have they been in practice?
Experience matters when it comes to specialties like endodontistry. Look at how long the endodontist has been practicing and what fields they have experience in.
● Dr. Penney has been in private practice limited to endodontics since the completion of his residency at Boston University’s Goldman School of Dental Medicine in 1994.
If you are undergoing endodontic treatment, you will also need to find a good restorative dentist. You can use these same questions to find the right restorative dentist for you.